Sunday, February 20, 2011

My back yard, the Honeymoon Destination for Mallards.

Do you remember the children's book "Make Way for Ducklings," by Robert McCloskey? I loved that book when I was little. When I had my own kids I read it to them too. Man I was wishing Mr. and Mrs. Mallard had 4 less ducklings, so many Jack, Pack, Mack, names my mouth got all tied up...Anyway, for the last 12 years a pair of mallards comes to our house every spring. They were back this week.


I don't know if it is the same pair, but their M.O. is the same. Land in the pool, hop out groom a little, nibble on the bird feed the finches have scattered all over the pool deck.


Waddle around the pool...slowly. Mister is very vigilant.


Waddle to the koi pond. Mister must check it out first before he lets Missus go in.


If everything is to his liking in they go. They paddle around,


Take a bath, flap their wings.

They never make a nest here. Our place seems to be the courting/ honey moon spot. They will be here as a pair for a few weeks and then Mister will come by himself for a while and then he stops coming too. Every year I hope this will be the year they stay and raise their ducklings...maybe this year...

1 comment:

  1. Aren't they fun to watch? I wonder where they go to make their nest? If he comes back alone it must be near? Do they bother the fish?

    ReplyDelete