Thursday, February 24, 2011

Meet the rabbits in the rabbitry...

Here are two of our "oldest" rabbits. They were the first litter in Kathy's breeding project for 4-H...this was back before she switched to Mini Rex..these bunnies are Mini lop. They are 4 years old, brother and sister, please meet....


Opi wan conejo
Hermione
These two were never really show rabbits, however Opi, when he was under 6 months old, did win a best of breed.  As I said these were the beginning steps in Kathy's breeding project, something to build on.

So not show animals...but certainly Mister and Miss congeniality. These two keep us laughing!




It is really hard to get a picture of Hermione's face. If  her cage door is open, she assumes the "pet me" position.


This is Hermione's house. While she is waiting for me to bring her breakfast she runs in the round window and out the door and back into the round window over and over. You can see her hind end in the fore ground here, still in the "pet me" position....


Opi...if I give the other rabbits, especially other bucks, too much attention, he gets mad and thumps his hind foot. Thumping is rabbit talk for I am scared. I am mad, look at me. Humans have to decide which one it is....
With Opi, if he then turns his back, it means I am mad...

If I go to his cage when he is thumping and find this...
Opi with his pine cone in his mouth, that means look at me!!!!

Anyone who has animals will know , they all have personalities. Rabbits are no different. We have some that are reserved. some are out going and some in between. some are picky eaters, only eat certain parts of the hay or don't like oats added to their feed. Sometimes the feed store will be out of our brand of feed so I have to buy something different to tied them over, I have critters that will not eat the new food, will try to pick through it looking for a small grain of the old feed they are hoping is way down there in the bottom of their bowls...

I love these guys...I hope you enjoy them too. I will introduce you to more bunnies...Kathy's baby Mini Rex will be coming out of the nest box soon..be prepared for cute baby bunnie pictures!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment