Wednesday, November 9, 2011

V is for Verlaine, V is for Victory

 I was a guest blogger on the site Frosting for the Cause. this is a wonderful site. devoted to bakers and people who want to make a difference in the fight against cancer. If you would like to know more about this site click on the button above.

the following is my post.

My good friend Sharon told me about this site. With her encouragement I decided to contribute a post in honor of my mom, Verlaine, who lost her battle with cancer eight years ago.



As I was thinking about what in the world I could make for this cause, I started to think of other women close to me who have fought cancer, two who lost the fight, four who are survivors. I wanted something that would honor all of them.
I decided to look in my grandmothers Recipe book. I thought, maybe an “old” recipe something out of the ordinary, will spike my interest.



And there it was, the Crisco Victory Cake.


A recipe that came from a chapter of my mom’s life, a recipe that woman copied and used to help fight for a different  cause in 1942. I can think of no better recipe for this Cause.




So, in memory of my mom, Verlaine, my friends Martha and Camille, in celebration of Carol, Sarah, Mary and Karleen, the Victory Cake.

Crisco Victory Cake
½ cup Crisco
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
½ cup corn syrup
1 ¾ cup flour
½  teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup milk
Chocolate frosting
After dinner mints

Blend Crisco, sugar, salt, vanilla and eggs.

Add corn syrup






Sift in dry ingredients and add alternately with the milk.
Pour into 2 round cake pans. Bake at 360 degrees for 35 minutes.
Cool completely





Frost with chocolate frosting. Decorate with after dinner mints, forming the letter V, for Victory.




No comments:

Post a Comment