Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sympathy Pains


I know the stereotype, women + phone = talking all the time. My girls and I do not fit it. We don't fit a lot of stereotypes. When the oldest was still at home, the three of us would be in the family room in the after noon, the girls doing homework me in the kitchen. If the phone should ring, a game of chicken would begin. Not who could get to the phone fastest, but who could get to the phone slowest. We finally came up with who ever is closest had to answer.That worked for a while until the girls ran away from the phone as it rang.
So this week when my cell phone rang and my youngest daughters name flashed on the screen, I got that something is wrong feeling in the pit of my stomach.
During an activity in her biology class, my daughter had severely twisted her ankle. She could not stand or walk on it.
Something you need to know about this kid, besides her aversion to talking on the phone she has an extremely high pain threshold. So if she says something hurts, I know it hurts.Oh, and she is also very stubborn. As in, no mom I can just hop, you don't need to help me to the car, out of the car, across the parking lot, into the doctors office, up the stairs etc. She did mention her hopping leg was sort of getting tired and allowed the nurse to wheel her in a wheelchair to x-ray. The doc came into the exam room and told us Kathy had a sever sprain.
Something you need to know about me. I severely sprained my knee in high school. Next to childbirth, it was the worst pain I have had in my life...but then I have a pain threshold like Kathy's. So when the doctor started to palpate around Kathy's swollen ankle, my body tensed up. When she pushed in the middle of the swollen area, she might as well have hit ME with one of those reflex hammers on the knee. My leg shot out and I kicked the doctor in the foot!
I couldn't believe it. I remember thinking Hey don't push there that is going to really hurt.
Anyway the kid is in a purple cast for 4 weeks. When the cast comes off, someone will be taking a buzzing saw toward my kid, can you imagine!

Maybe I will wait in the lobby.


No comments:

Post a Comment